Eric Kim is the author behind the ever-so-popular article where he shared the 100 Things He Learned About Photography and now he’s at it again but this time with some valuable insight and advice on what he’s learned about street photography. I’ve cherry-picked 10 of my favorite:
- Don’t take photos, tell stories.
- Your subjects are people, not prey.
- Don’t worry about the camera so much, just take the damn photo.
- Crouch when taking your shots, it often makes for more interesting photos.
- Pretend like you’re taking a photo of something else.
- Don’t worry about the fear of shooting in public. It will go away over time.
- Street photography is best experienced alone.
- Street photography is not just about the photos, but the experiences.
- Street photography is a lot like swimming. You have to do it to truly learn it.
- See with your eyes, not your camera.
I would be lying if I said that I didn’t consider any of these when working on the essay assignments I gave myself.